If you don’t plan on winterizing your trailer this snow season and instead want to use it to tow snowmobiles and hit the slopes, here are some Stealth Trailer Safety Tips on how to properly tow your trailer during the winter:
- Check your vehicle before towing! Make sure you know the ins and outs of your vehicle. Familiarizing yourself with your vehicle is extra important so you will be most comfortable behind the wheel.If you’re hauling an oversized trailer, it will not move as easily as a small vehicle on the road. You will need to know this before beginning your trip. Make sure the vehicle you use to tow is in good condition and has the correct tires to handle hauling a trailer during the winter. Also check to make sure your vehicle has been properly winterized to avoid any maintenance issues on the road.
- Check the weather! Winter weather is generally pretty unpredictable, however by checking the weather ahead of time you can see when temperatures will drop to dangerous levels and predict when severe storms will hit so you can leave at the optimal time.
- Be prepared! Always carry an emergency kit with you in the case of an accident or any other problems on the road that leave you stranded. This includes jumper cables, flares, extra food and water, a first-aid kit, and extra outer winter gear to keep you warm! Also carry extra equipment with you including snow tires, emergency kits with flares, charged batteries, and a tool kit.
- Learn how to brake properly! Line your car and trailer up to be straight before braking to avoid fishtailing. Installing brake trailers can also help to ensure safe stopping and steady control over your whole load! Consider taking lessons for driving in the snow so you do not put yourself and the others on the road at risk.
- Slow down! It sounds obvious but watching your speed is even more important during snowy weather conditions. Hauling a trailer already makes driving conditions more difficult, but towing during the winter adds a lot more difficulty for the driver. When on the road, it is important to reduce your speed and always keep a good amount of distance between you and other cars.